10.29.2011

Turkey Placecard Holders for Mama H.

A few weeks ago, I came across the most adorable place card holders at good ol' Pottery Barn. Mama H. doesn't know this yet, but I bought six of them for her. I think she's going to love them. I plan on giving them to her today!

I know she loves anything turkey-themed for Thanksgiving. Remember the eventual disclosure plates? And every year for Thanksgiving - for as long as I can remember - my mom has given my Aunt some kind of turkey-related object for Thanksgiving. (She must have at least 30 different turkeys? Don't ask.) Really, that's just the tip of the iceberg. Mama H. loves Thanksgiving. Heck, she just loves holidays.

So, it was a no brainer to get her these little cuties as an early thank you / hostess present for having us all over for Thanksgiving again this year.

Six turkeys for the family: Mama H., Senior, Mr. B, Mrs. B, Junior and Junior's GF

 Some years we have more than six people, so I'll have to think of a supplemental place card holder - but that's for another year!

And if the little turkeys aren't cute enough, they have a sentimential story behind them too. As a little girl, my mom would always have me make the place cards for Thanksgiving dinner. Some years, I just used note cards folded over, other years I had special stamps (cornicopia, if I'm not mistaken? Or maybe it was a turkey?) Sometimes there were even "real" place cards where I just had to write in the name.

Even into adulthood, this little tradition has stuck. Each year, I make the place cards and set them out on the table where everyone should sit. (Slightly type-A and controlling that I now decide where everyone sits. No wonder Junior thinks I'm bossy.) I'm already brainstorming my designs for this year...

Don't know about you but I'm really ready for Thanksgiving!

4 comments: