You know, the one Mr. B gave to me for Christmas and then took it away? Oh you don't know that story? Well I'll tell you that story. (Note: if you're not particularly fond of drama or exaggeration, or you're likely going to take Mr B's side on this one, I suggest you just click that little X in the top right corner of your screen.)
All along the countdown has been April. April this, April that. Why April? I will refresh your memory. Remember, we were living in the corporate furnished apartment until March 26 and they don't allow dogs. The plan was that we would get a dog when we moved into our apartment before we moved in to our new house. It made sense at the time because we didn't know how long we'd be in the apartment so we just figured we'd bite the bullet.
(There's a lot of moving going on here. I swear we're not normally this nomadic. Actually, yes we are. Once we're in the new house in May, that will make for 7 houses in 8 years. Boom. Not something I'm happy about though, which I continue to remind Mr. B of on a near daily basis. But I digress.)
So, the other night laying in bed, Mr. B turned to me and said, in a very matter-of-fact, stern voice, "We're going to wait to get a dog until we move into to the new house".
I did what every
I proceeded to call him a very PC term which rhymed with "schmindian schmiver". The severity of my insult was, of course, lost on him due to a ridiculous cultural gap we share. (Hello, we both speak English but that's not to say we speak the same English. And really, who doesn't know what a schmindian schmiver is.) I finally resorted to shouting, "You're a present giver-taker-backer" which seemed to better communicate my feelings.
Once he realized I wasn't joking around, he sort of backed off the comment and tried his best to mask his complete hysterical laughter / utter shock at my reaction. Once I calmed down, he explained that we would still get a dog, but he didn't think it made sense to pay the $350 nonrefundable pet fee for only 6 more weeks of living here.
I couldn't necessarily say he was wrong, but I sure as heck wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of knowing he was right. I told him I'd sleep on it, and well, it hasn't really been discussed since.
But I'm in a pickle people. The fact of the matter is, I'm a rational, responsible woman who knows he's right. I can wait a month or two more for my little furry friend and with all the big expenses on the horizon, I shouldn't be throwing away $350 just because. I suppose another option would be just to get the dog and try to hide it for a few weeks to avoid paying the fee, but let's be honest, I'm too honest for that and I'd be the first person to get caught.
So I have to figure out a way to agree with Mr. B while still saving face. Any suggestions?