1.10.2011

The Big Bad Back Bedroom Project

I suppose this is where the men/women are separated from the boys/girls. It's time to stop talking about all the grand things we're going to do at the Anniversary Home and actually do them. But for now, I'd prefer to talk just a little more about them before we really attempt them.

And without further adieu, I hereby introduce: "The Big Bad Back Bedroom Project".  I hope the title scares you as much as actually doing this project scares me. 

To be fair, it's a fairly simple project.  Attack one room from top to bottom.  Lucky for us, it has no impact on the rest of the home or our daily routine.  Just shut the door and it's out of sight and out of mind.  But for some reason, I'm getting a little worked up with this one?!

You may remember the powder blue bedroom from these posts. It's a hot mess. The floors need to be restored, one window is cracked, the white trim needs paint, the closet still has nasty green carpet.  And that's all before I get to pick pretty paint colors and decorate. 

So for now, I am going to talk a little bit more about what this room entails to buy myself a little more time.
You'll learn very quickly I LOVE LISTS.  To-do lists where you can cross off even the smallest, most inconsequential tasks just to feel like you're making progress.  But those little tasks make a big one!

The Big Bad Back Bedroom Project List:

Floors:
  • Find floor restoration company / contractor to quote and complete project. 
  • Ideally would like to keep original boards, remove brown paint through sanding and stain a dark color with sealant.
  • No idea what to budget for this?
  • This is no small task but I know in my heart needs to be done before we get too comfortable here.  Otherwise it will never get done!
Windows / Walls
  • How the heck am I going to fix the cracks / missing glass without replacing the entire thing? To be discussed.
  • Sand down areas on window sills which are chipped / peeling in prep for all new white paint on window frames and wood trim throughout room.
  • Yeah, let's be honest, we gotta get someone professional in to do that. So let's find a painter.
  • Paint the walls a nice, calming neutral beige/taupe/tan or whatever color takes my fancy.
Ceiling
  • No way in heck I'm worry about a couple cracks in the plaster.  That's called character kiddos, and it's starting to grow on me!
Closet
  • Remove carpet in preparation for floors
  • Paint or funky wallpaper? To be discussed.
  • This microproject feels managable! I can conquer the closet, I can conquer the closet, I can conquer the closet....
Decorate
  • The best part!
  • New queen bed, with linens, bedside tables, dresser, rug, pictures and accessories, curtains, light fixture and lamps, etc. etc. etc.
  • Can we just jump straight to here? No!
The good news is I've already got the feelers out for the flooring.  I guess I can cross that off the list!  In the meantime, I'll continue to take inspiration from pictures like the one below.  Leave it to Pottery Barn to always have it "together". 

Mendocino Bed, Full, Dark Brass finish

No comments:

Post a Comment